Tuesday, December 15, 2015

South Korea day 8

The first thing I did today was visit Busan tower. It cost 5000 won ($6) to go to the top. I wanted to take the stairs up all 46 levels but they forced me to share an awkward elevator ride up with one of the staff members who couldn't speak English. The view was outstanding. It also made me realize that although Busan was the second largest city, it looked more like a giant village.

Afterwards I walked to the Busan modern history museum. The entry was free and I learned about all the times Japan invaded Korea and tried installing their own culture in Busan. I thought that fucked up shit only came from European countries trying to colonize. Guess not..

Lastly I made a massive hike to Beomeosa temple right at the top of the mountain. It was a Buddhist temple so there were plenty of statues and people praying. I'm curious how many Koreans are Buddhist and how many are Christian. I guess that's another thing I'll have to research when I'm back home.

For a late lunch I ate gimbap tempura. It's basically sushi deep fried and it was awesome. This made me think that if American companies renamed deep fried mars bars as honey chocolate tempura, a lot more people would buy them coz it sounds slightly healthier.

Afrer that I took a painfully long public transport trip back to the hostel to collect my stuff. The trip was made bearable by an elderly man who came up to me on the crowded subway and shouted "its superman, look! It's superman". I wanted to say " look, its Jacky Chan! " back at him, but I decided agaisnt it.

At 5:40pm I raced to catch an express bus to meet a friend, James, who i had met earlier in Seoul. He lives in Namhae.

When I arrived in Namhae (an island in the south) I met James and 3 other Americans who were doing the same English teaching program as him. We all got drunk on soju and chatted about Korean culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment