Saturday, December 12, 2015

South Korea day 5

The collective hangover of 2 consecutive days of heavy drinking was bad. What made it worse was honoring our plans to visit the DMZ at 7:00am.

Because my liver at this point could best be personified as a baby being force fed brussle sprouts, I ended up sleeping for small parts of the tour. Fortunately I was still awake for the important parts; including the tunnels and the lookout.

The tunnels were awesome. Apparently the North had tried building dozens of tunnels that were obviously directed towards Seoul. Once the South discovered them accidbetly through an excavation, the North reportedly painted the walls black and claimed they were searching for coal. We got to walk down the 3rd tunnel up until the 1st blockade. It was such a steel incline / decline that I'm sure that even if the North had constructed the tunnel, their troops would have been too exhausted to fight anyway.

The lookout was awesome. I researched the North had constructed such a large flag that it couldn't even wave in the wind. This is a lie, I saw it blowing around like crazy.

Tim and I made friends with a french girl, Julie, while doing the tour by offering her some of our hangover food; jollypong - a sweet Korean snackfood.

Tim went to bed as soon as we got back at 5pm. I forced myself to have drinks with Julie. It wasn't easy, but I didn't vomit from the 3rd night of drinking Soju.

No comments:

Post a Comment