Sunday, December 27, 2015

Australia day 1

I decided not to book a hostel and simply rock up at fortitude valley instead.

The first hostel I landed at was pretty epic. It was called "bunk hostel" and it was $20 / night. A big change from the $4 / night I was used to in Vietnam; but it would do. Once I realized how packed the hostel in Brisbane was on a Sunday night, I decided to book my hostel for Byron bay immediately for New Years. No luck; apparently every hostel (not an exaggeration) had been booked out months in advance. In my desperation to find a place to stay, I found a vacancy at a hostel in Surfers Paradise. Not as good as Byron, I know, but at least it has a good beach. Plus I heard Surfers Paradise is famous for skateboarding!

The hostel gave new residents a free beer on entry and a free sausage sizzle on Sundays. Guess who was first in line? I met 2 Brazilians and a Sweedish girl while devouring my free meal. Even though their English wasn't the best, I still spent the entire night chatting with them at a pub which served $11 burgers and $10 beers.

No comments:

Post a Comment