Tuesday, December 8, 2015

South Korea day 1

FUCK ITS COLD! It's called south Korea, why is it so far up North?!

South Korea is such an organized, clean and beautiful country. I took the KTX express to Seoul center and then took a bus to my hostel called "pencil 5". The streets are wonderfully kept, and all the buildings are pimped with technology. Even the pedestrian crossings have speakers attached to them when you press the button which blast put some 10 second Korean message - I thought I'd activated a silent alarm when I first pushed it. Perhaps I'm just in shock after spending a month in South East Asia, but either way its a refreshing change. It was definitely relaxing not needing to be constantly vigalent about avoiding motorbikes.

I met a few international people at my hostel including; an American, a Canadian and 3 Malaysians. They're all really friendly, but nothing compared to how friendly the other Korean guests are. I kid you not, Koreans are literally the nicest and welcoming people I have ever met. The Koreans found out it was my first day and insisted on making a late Korean lunch with soju for the whole hostel to enjoy. I tried paying them for my share but they wouldn't take it.

For dinner I tried some street food. I am now addicted to Tteokbokki; a rice cake with spicy sauce. I wish I could be as positive about kimchee though, that stuff is downright awful. I don't know why everyone likes it so much.

Oh yeah, other than the 1 American I met, I literally think that I am the only white person here. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment