Sunday, February 8, 2015

Thailand day 7

Today we woke up and went to The Grand Palace. Our hostel was so close we could walk there. When we arrived we found out that they had a pretty strict dress code - no shorts or singlets. I had both so they hustled me into a change room and gave me a spare change of clothes. The entry fee was 500 Baht, and when you got in you could see why. It was filled with beautiful architecture and well preserved/reconstructed wall art. I personally loved the wall art because every wall told a different story. I tried to use the remnants of my high school education to predict what the message was before I read the brosure to find the actual answer. I was horribly wrong every time. One thing I didn't like about the palace though is how packed the entrance and exit were with tourists. It was kind of like a Ford Assembly line; there were speakers screeching instructions at you, guards everywhere, and at one point I'm pretty sure you actually had to stand on a conveyor belt.

In general, that's my one major critisism about what I've seen in Thailand. Its all been done before too many times.

When we got back we took a taxi to the floating markets. Sadley the driver must have misunderstood us because he dropped us off at Jatujak, which had markets! But none of them were floating. None the less the markets were amazing. You could buy almost anything for hardly any money. I overendulged in food and bracelets while Alonso bought a shit tonne of green tea.

When we arrived back at our hostel we walked around Khao San rd once more. I got a hole in my jeans repaired for $2 (which I still think is a rip off) and enjoyed some fantastic phad Thai. I had the time to see the whole place in full action and I've got to say there's a lot going on:
1. They sell scorpians you can eat
2. You can buy fake degrees and licenses
3. You can have hour long massages
4. You can eat large bags of fresh fruit (that are surprisingly outstandingly tasty) for 20b (80 cents).
5. Oh and there are locals who go up to individuals and inform you of a ping pong sex show by making a disgusting popping sound with their lips. At one point I was casually enjoying my phad Thai when an elderly woman leant up next to me and made the sound right by me left ear. That's just scary!

Pablo and Alonso left this evening to go back to Jakarta. I no longer have my Spanish mommy and daddy to look after me. But seriously it was awesome traveling with them! Thanks for the good times.

I immediately siffered without pablo or Alonso's guidance because I had forgotten to book a hostel for tonight. Whoops. After finding out that every hostel was booked in a 2km radius, I decided to call up Grace in desperation to give me a place to stay.

Her apartment is tiny but awesome. There is an especially good swimming pool at the top of the 80 floor building so I got some great opportunities to take some photos of the city.

Just like before, i was only talking to her for about 10 minutes before i did something culturally insensitive. I was pointing my feet at a pillow on my bed on the floor, and apparently that's rude. I think people must perceive me as a walking Satan around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment