Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Prague day 2

I woke up a little hungover and sluggishly pulled out my phone to look at trains leaving to Germany. I couldn't decide whether I wanted to go Meinz, Berlin, Heidelberg or stay in Prague so I dropped the phone on the floor and collapsed back into bed.

I woke up a little hungover and sluggishly put on my shoes so I could go on the hunt for breakfast. I managed to find this epic cafe that served me sausages, mustard, cheese and really really spicy chillies; I think it was called Aeiz burnar.

By the time I got back to the hostel I had heard a reply from Jonas telling me I could get free accommodation at his place in Heidelberg. I grabbed my stuff, checked out of the hostel and began my treck to the train station.

I'm so excited I'm going to Germany. A place where drinking in the morning isn't a condition, its a culture. A place where eating absurdly large quantities of meat happens all the time, not just on special occasions. A place where drinking in public isn't illegal, its legal.

I met a girl from Hungry roughly my age on the train. She was really friendly and told me she was doing a PhD in Education. I tried to tell her some stupid Turkey/Hungry joke, but was fortunate her English wasn't good enough to understand it. Fun fact: people from Hungry have a strangely weak French sounding accent! Hungry is yet another country to put on the list for my next trip through Europe!

My train trip involves me transferring trains at Dresden, Leipzig, Frankfurt and Mannheim. This only gives me 10 minute intervals to buy food and go to the toilet. When I first arrived at Leipzig I sprinted to the nearest bathroom only to find that I needed to pay €1! WTF Germany! Why do I have to pay to go to the bathroom!? That's just evil! To make it worse, I had no euros so I had to sprint to the other side of the train station to go to the ATM to withdraw cash and then change some of the cash into coins at a money exchanger. After the whole ordeal I had no time to eat a proper meal so... So... So.... I purchased a whopper from Burger King. I'm so ashamed of myself. I've been dreaming of the first meal I was going to try in Germany for so long! If only they had a pork schnitzel with schpetzle burger...

I arrived at Heidelberg at 10pm. Jonas was there ready to welcome me with a beer. We tried riding his bike but my bag plus my weight was too much for him to handle so we decided to walk back to his flat. It was great seeing him again. He told me about Scotland and all the crazy stuff he's been up to since. Tomorrow were going to meet up with a few of his friends and undoubtably get smashed.

1 comment:

  1. NOOOOO you were suppose to go to Berlin!!!!!! and then Heidelberg...and whats with all the drinking!!!! Seriously....:(

    ReplyDelete