Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Milan day 1

I woke up and immediately headed to the nearest McDonald's. I had heard from the 2 Italians that McDonald's was promoting their breakfast menu by organizing a pajama party. It wasn't much of a party; just a really long que of people wearing pajamas waiting to get their free pastry and coffee. Oh my God, the McDonald's here is amazing! The place was so fancy, the service was awesome, the food was delicious and beer was on the menu! If I wasn't wearing a torn shirt and baggy clown pants then I would have thought I was in a 5 star resteraunt.

Next step was the university. I found my way to the mathematics department which looked like a beaten down shack compared to the architecture skyscrapers around it. I found a lecture running and looked through the window. They were learning projectile motion, which is a 1st year subject, yet the students all seemed aged around 25. Either the students here are very slow to learn or very fast to age.

Next I took the metro to Duomo which was a giant tourist hotspot because it featured a giant church. The line was too long to go inside, so I just took photos from the outside. The detail on the sculptures was phenominal; I'm no biblical scholar, but I think they made statues of every major biblical character - I couldn't find Jesus though, so I think they fucked up a bit.

I met Federica afterwards and we decided to head to the nearest pub.

Let me stop here and tell you about a few discoveries I made about Italy:

1) Milan has very few pubs in very inconvenient locations
2) in some pubs you need to pay for the beers (€5) and also pay to sit at the table (€10)!
3) you can legally buy beers from the supermarket and drink in public, but literally no one does it.

What the fucking fuck, Italy!?! You're in Europe! Where is your drinking culture?

At least their Nastro Azzurro beer is quite nice... It better have been :<

I was advised to go to Navigli for dinner, because supposedly it had cheap and awesome food. Whilst the atmosphere was enjoyable, the food definitely wasn't. There were only all you could eat beffets around and the food tasted artificial and packaged.

I was very disappointed because I missed a delicious pasta dinner I had been dreaming of for a long time and I had McDonald's for breakfast... What was I thinking? At least I had pizza for lunch.

All was mended though once I found out that chiao means both hello and goodbye in Italian. I had a lot of fun saying 'chiao chiao' to strangers I passed in the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment