Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Marseille day 2

I woke up super early and went for a walk around the town. Marseille is located right next to the ocean so the views were spectacular. There were seafood markets right by the dock selling fish, squid and crabs. The food was so fresh that most of the seafood was still alive when you bought it.

The architecture was pretty cool too. Years of playing the computer game 'age of empires' leads me to believe that its got a strong Italian theme to it.

I also really like the accent of the locals here; they speak French but they sound kinda Italian. As if I don't have enough language barriers already...

After i did the whole touristy thing I purchased 1 baguette with Bree and 2 chocolate crausants (how the hell do you spell that word?) And headed to the train station to finish my journey to Italy.

The train ride was unusually annoying. There was a guy listening to opera on his phone really loudly somewhere in the carriage. Also because of the nature of opera music, every 10 seconds it sounded like it was coming from a different direction - I felt like I was being surrounded. Personally I don't get why you'd listen to opera on your phone anyway, the only entertainment you can get from that genre is by watching little fat men dramatically waving their arms around on stage.

Oh and don't get me started on train taps in the bathroom! The "motion sensor" in each tap is like a blind tennis umpire. I was acting like Bruce Lee stabbing the air trying to get the water to come out, but it just wouldn't budge. Not cool Italy, not cool.

When I arrived at my hostel I messaged the two Italian girls I had met in Prague earlier in the month. Even though it was 10:30pm they were still keen to join me in a pub. We met up in this great place just around the corner and had a range of different beers. I had Salta-foss which I thought was an Italian beer until I read that it was a 9% Belgian triple. The girls had stouts (really strong and bitter dark beer) because it tasted more like coffee.

I really enjoyed talking to Federica and Beatrice. They're the least patriotic people I know, but that didn't stop them from recommending dozens of cool activities around town. They told me there was an Engineering and Mathematics university right by the hostel. I was about to make plans to go there until I realized its surrounded by the faculty of architecture - eww.

No comments:

Post a Comment