Saturday, March 14, 2015

Berlin day 1

I woke up at 8ish and walked around to see if I could find some food. I went to a place called Istanbul supermarket which unsurprisingly served almost exclusively Turkish food. I purchased two giant slabs of bread, a tin of hummas (is that how you spell it?) and a couple of apples. I'm actually really glad Berlin has such a strong Turkish influence here. If I can't visit Turkey, then I'm glad Turkey can visit me in Germany.

I made friends with a few Americans at the hostel and they advised me a few places I should look at while in Berlin. I left the hostel with a map flooded with scribbles and began my walk to the nearest liquor store - I needed to capitalize on the whole public drinking thing.

Walking around Berlin with my €1 wheat beer listening to 'whillst do' and 'fick ihn doch' was actually the highlight of my day.

I did the whole touristy thing. I saw the Berlin wall, old SS buildings, Siegessaule and a few memorials. I saw a whole bunch of people smiling and making the peace sign while taking selfies of themselves by the memorials. I couldn't decide whether I found that disrespectful or not.

I had lunch at a resteraunt right by the river. I had Rinderroulade & knodel and a bitburger pils. The food was good, but I was very disappointed they didn't sell spatzle. I'm terrified I might leave Germany without trying it!

When I got back to the hostel I met up with the Americans again and made friends with a few people from Finland and Spain. I asked the receptionist where any good pubs were and he told me they were littered everywhere along the street.  I told everyone the good news and we all decided to go on a pub crawl. Sadly, 'everywhere' and 'pubs' were pretty drastic overstatements because we only found empty clubs or cafés.

Eventually after walking around mindlessly and drinking beer, we all decided to go to a shitty club. Eaargh, more dancing... I'm starting to notice a theme here. I got plastered drunk so I could fit in.

No comments:

Post a Comment