Thursday, January 12, 2012

The end of the begining

It's pretty scary to think that I've already been here for a week. Which means more than 1% of my time here is done (Yeah maths!).

But the intro chapter is almost done. I've already met the most people that are going to be the most influential in my stay here - the RA's. They're great people; very social and very friendly. I met them last night while they were planning a plot line for a movie they want to create for everyone to watch when all the other freshmen (1st years) come in. They made an effort to include me, which was very nice - and I think I made a good first impression on them.

Tonight they were filming the movie. It's as good as a movie created by 19 year old's can be. But it was still fun and enjoyable. I felt a bit like an outsider tonight than I did last night though. Obviously I had no role to play in a movie created for just RA's. So all I could do is watch and make an occasional comment or joke. I think I've got everyone's characters down pact though, which is a good thing. I stick by my initial impression that they're very social and nice people.
I hope they think the same.

But I've been getting some very sobering thoughts rushing to my head lately. I fear that because Moore Hill is so overpopulated by 19 year olds, the drinking alcohol scene will be a lot less relaxed. I mean, I'm sure they'll drink alcohol - at designated parties OUTSIDE of Moore Hill, but the 'sit down and have a beer with your neighbor whenever you feel like it' thing will not exist here. Underage drinking within dorms is quite strict here. They only have some form of leniency if your roommate is of drinking age. I really hope that my electrical engineering Asian roommate is 21 or older.

Also, I've recently discovered that the Gym is now open and free. Yippie! I can finally burn off my love handles...

Oh and before I go: everyone here is so well adapted to fast food. Americans have a tolerance to fast food which I have not developed yet. You know when you see one slice of Pizza remaining in the box, and even though you're not hungry and no one else wants it, you still have that burning desire to eat it? They don't have that! It must be some type of evolutionary counter measure to their obesity problems. I hope I develop it soon, I can only spend a maximum of 24 hours in the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment