Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Cambodia day 7

I did the impossible today. I woke up at 4:15am with Matt and Max to go see Ankor Watt before sun rise. We didnt know Ankor How to get there so we decided to tuk tuk it. It was pleasantly cold outside; a feeling my body really enjoyed and my dry clothes benefited from.

Just before we arrived we decided to stock up on some food from a 7/11. I was still feeling pretty sick so I decided to get some sugar bread and water.

We arrived there at 5am, payed our $20 entry fee and walked through the darkness shoulder to shoulder with other tourists towards the famous landmark. Sadly my phones camera wansnt up to scratch to capture the temple with low light so I asked Matt to take pictures for me instead.

Sadly I did 0 research behind Ankor Watt before I showed up. But I managed to tactically walk slowly past a few English guided tours and learn that 1) it was constructed in the 1100's and 2) looting and excavations took place all the way up to 1993 which is why some parts looked mkre degraded than others. I'll update this post later with researched stuff so I don't sound like a completely ignorant tourist. At one point we thought that they were undergoing a construction project on the roof of the temple, but we later found out that a few monkies had climbed to the top of the temple and were smashing metal plates agaisnt the ancient tiles - it reminded me a lot of the old King Kong movie actually.

By lunch tine I had managed to finish off my supply of sweet sweet bread so we all decided to go somewhere for food. I got banana pancakes which was nothing more than a regular pancake with a full banana on top. Matt and Max got the mango salad which was a plate filled with mango with 1 lettuce leaf on top.

By the end of the tour I felt pretty exhausted due to the heat, sleep deprivation and food poisoning so i decided to have a quick power nap when I got back to the hostel. Later that night I went out to the night markets to buy some singlets

1 comment:

  1. Oh nooooo, hope you are feeling better now!!! Be careful out there X

    ReplyDelete