Saturday, November 14, 2015

Cambodia day 2

Fuck I don't think I got the job. When it comes down to it, I just don't think they wanted someone as inexperienced as I was. Half way through the interview I just wanted to crawl through the iPad I was using, break open the barrier of formal communication, and just tell them "hey, I don't have much practical experience, but I really want to learn this stuff so just give me a chance to show you". Ah well, you win none ya lose some.

When matt woke up we went to the Russian markets. It was a very interesting experience side stepping gutted fish to find clothing and jewlery stores. After about an hour and a half the smell forced us out. Sadly my mission to find a beer opening thumb ring (which by the way takes about 5 minutes to describe to the locals) remains unaccomplished.

After the markerts we decided we were feeling too happy so we went to the genocide museum to somber up. In hindsight we should have knocked off the killing fields and the genocide museum in one day. The brutal description of torture and baby killing for 2 days in a row seemed to suck the life out of Matt. Tuk tuk drivers pestering us with an emotionless 'you go killing fields now?' Seemed to cripple Matt's mindset further because of how they seems to be selling their culture for a $4 ride.

UPDATE:
Just heard about the news in Paris. Such a tragedy. I reckon it's tempting for journalists and historians to write about Pol Pot and members of ISIS and say that they were just radicalized, fucked up individuals. And whilst I'm sure that's true, I really want to have a deeper understanding behind the mindset of these people. Maybe when I get back I might do an online course in Modern History.

Later on that evening we met up with the Dutch girls again and an Italian bloke. We decided to walk to the night markets via the grand palace together. The markets were nice. There was a limited selection of clothing but an almost unlimited amount of deep fried insects to eat. I triumphed over my fear of cockroaches and snakes by eating them.

We finally tuk a tuk tuk back to the hostel to play some drinking games. I met a lot of British and Canadian backpackers there. I got drunk and went clubbing with them later that night. Never again. I got home so plastered that my Sweedish roommates told me I was staring at the ladder up to my top bunkbed for close to 20 minutes trying to figure out how to climb up without falling over.

No comments:

Post a Comment