Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Final Goodbyes

Marissa, Irma, Jason, two of Marissa's friends and I went to 6 flags on my last day as a parting gift to trademark my time in America. Whilst I only got to try 2 rides and despite being socially unable to fully fit into Marissa's friend group (not because they were unfriendly, but because I was unequipped to understand their high school jokes/ comments), I still found it a worthwhile and enjoyable experience. One ride, the Freezer, came somewhat close to be as terrifying and invigorating as skydiving. After our small detour to the theme park, we all drove down to the airport to give our final goodbyes. Both Marissa and Irma were so overcome with pure emotion that they were barely able to speak without being drowned in their own tears. I'm pretty sure I noticed a small glint in Jason's eye too. Before I knew it, I was stranded in the waiting room provoking goodbyes and well wishes via mass text while Irma and the gang headed back to 6 Flags to make the most out of their $40 tickets.

The Goodbyes and Well wishes didn't start or end at the Airport. For the last month I've been milking the fact that I'm leaving America as just another way of getting unearned attention. This prolonged goodbye has served me well though because it's given me a chance to say goodbye to some very special friends that I've had here - one of them being Christian - a fantastic friend and (ironically) a fellow atheist.

Oh and before I forget, Marissa's car will be forever scared with crude calculus markings made by me and a friend of hers. I know this will be permanent because I'm certain she'll never get around to washing it :p

Now for the most important bit, the bit where I talk about; (1) How much America has changed my life, (2) How much I've learned and (3) the lasting impressions the US has left on me. Well, (1) I've gotten very unfit and my liver is now just a dead organ floating around in my body. (2) Academically I've learned nothing, but socially I've learned never to pass out with my shoes on. And (3) America and especially Texas is an amazing place filled with the friendliest and most social people. I've lived a different life while I've been here - a life I want to live when I come back home. I've realised that one of the reasons America has been so great is because my outlook and the way I've acted had changed too. I think any country can be amazing if you allow it to be. But before I get carried away with overly dramatic conclusions, I should probably say my trip hasn't ended yet, it's just changed. I can still continue the limbo of binge drinking and not doing any work in Europe. If I can summarise my entire trip to America in in one emoticon it would probably be this - ;')

Now back to the boring intricate details of my day. I watched the movie "love actually" on the plane which I later realised was the worst movie to watch when you're trying to get over the US. Also, I was given an excellent cheese cake which I've only now just realised is incredibly symbolic (read the first post of me in the US).

I'm not going to talk about Europe too much in this post, but I will say I'm excited about seeing my cousins, but not too excited about the hassle of organising myself about their crazy public transport system.

GOODBYE AMERICA! YOU'VE BEEN AWESOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment