Friday, August 2, 2013

Jet Laaaaaaaaaag

I still can't sleep. I'm fighting with my brain 24/7 to make me sleep at the right time. If I were to personify my brain, he would be a patronizing, stubborn British Gentleman in his early 40's named 'James'.

The arguments James and I have when I try to go to bed go something like this:

Matt: Alright brain, let me sleep.

James: I can't let you do that, Matt.

Matt: But we're in Australia now!

James: No, I'm very sure we're still in China.

Matt: It's dark outside!

James: Don't worry, I'll wake you up at 3:00am.

Other than my recent downfall into schizophrenia, not much has happened in my life since I've been back. Perhaps the most interesting and exciting event I accomplished since being back was making my first bucket of curry. It's amazing how fast I can regress back into my old self once given the option of TV, Mario Kart and a fridge full of food. I'm kind of like the incredible hulk in a way, except I'm triggered by hunger and I transform into a hobo.

In other news, class is kinda cool. One of my subjects MMAN4100 (or is it MECH4100? I dunno, i'll write down whatever the course name is once I'm given it in the exam) is really cool. It's a subject based on job experience. They get about 12 companies who have really creative problems they want solved ranging from resizing crates to noise dampening centrifuges. These companies don't want to actually pay people to do their work, so they come to Uni and make students solve their problems for them and 'pay' them with compulsory work experience. It's a balanced deal though because what the companies gain by not paying students, they loose by having inexperienced idiots solve complicated problems.

I really want to see what vibration analysis is like in the real world so I think i'm going to join Sydney Water's project and see if I can figure out their resonance issue. I would ideally like to do something more directly related to mechanical engineering but all the real world problems are solved by mindlessly plugging values into a computer and seeing what pops up. Vibration analysis (so I'm told) is one of the last areas of mechanical engineering that isn't hijacked by computer analysis.

This is all coming at a good time because my industrial training report that I handed in last year just got marked. 100%! Wooh

No comments:

Post a Comment