Tuesday, August 28, 2012

roommates

I came to the realization today that 2 of my 5 roommates are quite racist. Pat and Tim - especially Tim - struck me as overwhelmingly racist today. After I suggested a drink at the Reege, Pat, Liam, Tim and Andrew voted to just drink in the house since we already had some beers. While we were drinking, we put on the TV and a show called "Go back to where you came from" came on. We were all making jokes about it - so at first I thought it was harmless humor. It was only when I noticed recurring overly exaggerated sarcasm on the same parts of the show that I begin to realize some underlying sincerity. Tim was the first one to prove my hunch correct when he started talking seriously about how:
Afghanistan generally supports the Taliban, otherwise there wouldn't be a Taliban
Afghanistan should fix their own problems without our international help because it's their own problem.
and Afghan boat people either have an anti western agenda or will inevitably end up screwing up the Australian lifestyle.

Pats racism was harder to pick up on, but was still there. Pats car got broken into the other night, but only the rear window was broken and the door was left locked with nothing stolen. Pat made a series of jokes about how some "kook" had tried to rob the car but probably couldn't reach the from lock from the hole in the window. At first I thought it was a joke, but after listening to his sincere opinions about boat people and the future of Australia during "Go back to where you came from", I got a very different view.

Eeep

No comments:

Post a Comment