Monday, August 27, 2012

Grill'd

So I'm on my 5th week after working at "Grill'd" - a small burger joint which prides itself on serving top quality burgers. Unfortunately, I still have not been paid! I've called up my TL's, managers, Bosses, and even the head department in Victoria. I guess my puppy dog face must be pretty damn good because Matt, my manager, called me up to personally apologize for the 'computer problems' that occurred when I was hired. He says I'll be paid by Wednesday.

Soon I'll be working in Word Square at the largest restaurant Grill'd has to offer. Todd, my Boss, says I'll be training people soon so that should be fun. I can barely keep up with the orders on a busy day where I work now! There are just too many burgers to flip - and the teamwork and coordination you need with the people who put the salad on the burgers has to be spot on. None the less, I'm looking forward to pulling rank on some of my fellow teenage recruits.

I've got an assignment due tomorrow - it's a really boring one. And I know that's probably an obvious thing to say, but in my opinion all Engineering assignments cover a spectrum ranging from "pretty boring" to "OMG, if I study this anymore, my heart will stop!". I should be fine I reckon.

I've got all tomorrow off. Due to timetabling issues, I haven't got a shift tomorrow at work, and I've got no official classes to attend to. I guess I'll have to make the painful decision of deciding whether to go to the beach or work on my Engineering Mechanics videos... HmmMmmmmmm...

A friend of mine two weeks ago said sarcastically "I hate you when you're sober". Even though i'm pretty sure she was being sarcastic, I can totally relate to that - most of the time I hate me when I'm sober. Is that the first sign of an alcoholic? Should I be concerned about this? Sigh, all this thinking is making me thirsty.

Once again I found myself contemplating dropping out of Uni today. The 'rents offered some good advice - "Don't drop out! Finish your degree, then sort your life out". But I can't help but notice that that advice can be applied to any stage in my life. I mean, when I was at high school I had the same thought rushing though my head all the time - 'get a good UAI, then I've got my future sorted'. Why is it society has a tendency to value our future more than our present, even if it comes at the cost of NEVER valuing the present? I'd say impulsiveness and selfishness is necessary from time to time to maintain sanity.

Regardless, I've decided to stay on with Uni and 'find myself' (whatever that means) after I graduate.

No comments:

Post a Comment