Friday, October 18, 2019

Germany day 3 and England day 1 & 2

Eeep, getting behind on this blog.

My flight out of Germany (which I purchased for 13 Euros) was in Memmingen. John and I toured the town for a little while, and waddled around the fair.

When I arrived in England, I took a coach from London Stansted airport to Victoria station, and walked all the way to Marks appartment in Chelsea. Claire and Mark had prepared a huge dinner since Laura and Jake decided to come too. It was very interesting to see how the family communicates with each other - it's totally different to my family. Once the subject of Brexit got brought up, the conversation turned turbulent and emotional; similar to how I expect a lower income Italian family would behave. It was interesting, but I couldn't contribute much to the conversation because I was very ignorent of the details of Brexit.

The following day Mark took me on perhaps the worst bike ride of my life around London. There are still no designated bike lanes around London, so we were swerving onto pedestrian lanes, avoiding huge piles of rubbish and stopping frequently to avoid hitting parked cars. We eventually gave up on the bikes and entered a few museums. Mark was kind enough to take me to the science museum, which despite being swarmed by large groups of children, was a pretty educational experience. I was very impressed with Marks knowledge of Engines and WW2 history. It's always a pleasure to talk to Mark about history and machines - it's just important not to derail the conversation to a topic about taxes or unions.

In the evening I met up with Daniel Chee, a friend of mine from highschool. He's been living in the UK for about 2 years now and doing extreemly well. In good ol' British style we had a few too many pints far too quickly.




No comments:

Post a Comment