Thursday, December 12, 2013

Melbourne day 2

Yesterday was a lot of fun. I started the day by heading to the Fitzroy area in a quest to find the Little creatures brewery. The map I had conveniently cut out well before that area so all I knew was that it was north. The path I took reminded me a whole lot of Frodo travelling through middle earth - except instead of a ring gradually corrupting me, it was as my burning desire for alcohol. Eventually I arrived at the black gate which was the entrance to the brewery. Sadly however, when I stepped into the fiery pits of mt. Doom I realized I had been deceived. It wasn't a brewery but a little creatures diner.  I had a pot of pale ale and stole a free brochure outlining the types of hops and malt they use for their brew - anything that'll give me a competitive advantage with my home brew is worth taking.

I've been pretending all along that I'm a Texan exchange student in Australia. So far I've made a lot friends this way. However I've noticed that I accidentally change my story every time I say it. This really puts me on my toes and I've been adding layer after layer of lies to make up for obvious contradictions. I reckon they might figure out the second I leave Melbourne.

With what was left of the afternoon I went to the markets to see if I could buy some Christmas presents for my family. Sadly however, the markets had very little selection and nothing existed here that I couldn't get in Melbourne.

I also went on a long river walk which turned out to be really cool. Good food, good sun and really friendly people.

I ended up the night by inviting everyone I had met to 'cookie bar'. Its a misleading title because it's not much of a bar, more of an outside beer hall. They also had a pretty large projector which had the potential to play any movie they wanted. Sadly they didn't capitalize on this by playing pacific rim :(. At this point it was just the Irish bloke, 2 Brits from the hostel and myself. After a while though we decided to go to a different bar - 'the Irish tale', you can guess who's idea that was. There we met up with a friend of mine from Texas (Woutijn), two of the dutch girls and a random local who just wanted to be part of the UN meeting.

I know I promised myself I wouldn't be so stingy with money but towels here are like a whole 5 dollars to borrow so I ended up drying myself with a clean shirt of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment