Monday, August 11, 2014

City2Surf

I ran the City2Surf race yesterday. I'm still out of breath. I woke up at 7:10am for a 7:55 start in the red group. It may have been optimistic of me to think I'd be able to get there on time, but it was definitely stupid of me to press the snooze button when I heard my phone alarm go off. I had sprinted down to the bus stop and was waiting impatiently for the bus to get to its destination (Hyde Park) when I heard the gun go off. By the way, Red group is at the front of the 70,000 people, and it's usually filled with mostly super fit athletes and a small mix of unfit and unprepared idiots like me. I got off the bus early and sprinted down oxford st to join the Red group before it was too late. I approached a side entrance where a crowed control officer was filtering out runners from watchers. I was already so tired from sprinting from Oxford st that I could only manage to wheeze out the words "I'm.. in.. red.. group.. can I get through.. (deep breath) please..?". After sharing a glimpse of disgust and sympathy, the guy pulled the gate open and let me through. Almost all the runners had already crossed the start line at this point, so I was the last guy to cross the start line while panting furiously with the camera pointing at my face. The race itself was good though. I somehow managed to run the whole thing and got a final time of 1 hour and 15 minutes. I think this is my worst time yet, but I'm not too surprised. After all, your dignity isn't the only thing you lose when you sit down 7 hours a day in an office.

No comments:

Post a Comment