Friday, July 27, 2012

Life down under

I'm living two lifestyles at the moment; a uni student and a zoo keeper. Even though I recently moved into my new apartment I find myself commuting back to my home in Pymble almost every day to feed and walk my dog. 'Why' you ask? Because my parents went to California on holiday the day Uni started, abandoning our precious 'Mooshy Pie' (the dogs name is actually "Molly", but because we call her so many nicknames, I doubt she even knows her own name). It's been a bit of a burden commuting between my house, my new apartment and Uni, but it's still been manageable - it would be wrong of me to say I'm getting no work done as a result, because I don't think I would have gotten work done regardless... also, for the most part, I think that the freedom I've got in my new apartment (even though I'm not there too often) is really rewarding.

Speaking of Freedom, the City2Surf is coming up next month and I plan to dress up as Brave Heart. The City2Surf is a huuuuuge quarter marathon (14km) which gets an output of about 70,000 people. I'm going to be at the front of the line dressed up in a Kilt with blue paint over half my face shouting out 'FREEEEDOOOMMMM' at the top of my lungs as soon as the gun goes off. Yeah, I know it's kinda lame, but it's something I really want to do. Between my constant snacking on junk food and watching TV on the couch, I've been training very hard for this event! I've also been on a downloading frenzy to get some good running music. Not gonna lie, Nicki Minaj is my number one heard artist on my iTunes right now... pretty sad, eh? 'Starshiiipps were meant to fllyyyyyyy' na na na na naaaa... lyrical genius...

Speaking of music, I've rediscovered Sail by Awolnation. For those who don't know, I went through a stage of addiction to this song back in the States. Good times. Just as a quick random segue; if you type in "sail cat" into youtube, you get an awesome vid of a cat acting in Sync with this song. I don't care how busy you are, watching a cat on the internet is definitively worth 5 minutes of your time.

Its strange how I unwilling create a link between songs I really like to memories of my past. ‘Float on’ by Modest mouse, ‘Sail’ by Awolnation, and (unfortunately) ‘rack city ‘by Tyga are songs which have engraved deep memories of exchange in my mind. I feel so bipolar after hearing one of these songs because I end up deeply reflecting on my exchange experience which totally alters my mood.
I promised myself I wouldn’t talk about exchange or alcohol in this blog post, but I guess it’s too late for that, eh? At the foundation day party at Uni yesterday, I ran into a friend who had also gone to America on exchange about a year ago. She’s been back in Australia for 6 months and she told me that the post depression doesn’t get any easier… fuck.

A good friend of mine, Kieran, is heading to UT in December to start a yearlong exchange there. That lucky fucker!! I’m caught between feeling really happy for him and also very jealous of him - which probably doesn’t help with my bi polar issues: p.
Back to Australia… I’m working on my Thesis this semester. I’m writing online tuition videos for 1st and 2nd year Uni students studying Statics and Dynamics. It’s rewarding and all, but it’s very tough and very time consuming. And the time I’m going to be spending on my Thesis will no doubt be in conflict with the time I’m going to be working at Grill’d.

Lastly, I’ve got a Skype interview with Schlumberger (an oil company) on Monday because I’m applying for an internship there over the summer. It’s pretty sad to think that work related Skype calls almost equal my social life Skype calls.

I’ve been practicing the guitar on and off for the last few weeks. It’s not working though because I sound like I am broken.



1 comment:

  1. Hello, you used to write wonderful posts, but the last several posts have been kinda boring… I miss your tremendous posts. Past few posts are just a bit out of track! Embroidered logo blazer

    ReplyDelete