Saturday, January 24, 2015

Australia Day 1

My mum was kind enough to drop Bradley, Matt and I at the airport at 8:30am today. I'm unsure if I have or haven't talked about Bradley before. He's a friend of Matt Gates' and I had never actually met him in real life before today. It's good to know he's a real person and not some next generation Skype A.I. trying to pull off some elaborate futuristic scam. I'm especially glad he's not a simulation because he's a funny and entertaining bloke. I think I'm traveling with a good crew.

For  the last 3 nights I've been drinking quite heavily. I've been meeting up with friends who I haven't seen in a long time. It's just way too easy to walk up to the counter and grab another round of beers. And it's even easier to stumble up to the counter after you've had those beers and order vodka. Whilst the last 3 days have caused an unexpected spike in my blood alcohol level, my average blood alcohol level over the last 2 months has been impressively and depressingly high. I made myself a pinky promise that I'll be in the fittest shape of my life before Everest. Sadly I think it's the other way round. I pant when I walk, I sweat when I eat and I cry when I run. Bring it on Everest!

Oh yeah, speaking of not being overly prepared for my trip - I only found out 2 days ago that I needed a visa for Turkey. Whoops! I honestly had no idea that UK passport holders needed a visa. Turkey always seemed to me to be this delicious welcoming place with succulent immigration policies. Don't worry though, I managed to get the visa in 10 minutes online. Phew!

Speaking of food, I only had a bottle of olive oil and half a jar of Vegemite when i officially moved out of the house today (that was a pretty impressive segway, eh?). That's right! I'm finally out of the Animal House! I spent around 3 hours cleaning up my room for the girl who is going to be replacing me - her name is Daisy. Whilst I was packing up I found like 8 pairs of clean, unused underwear! Deep down I think I always knew I had more than 1 pair.

Well I'm coming up to the last hour of my journey to Jakarta and I'm starting to get more and more excited about things I can do there. It's been ages since I've been there (at least 5 years I think). I really want to do cultural and meaningful activities like; visit my old school, see my old neighborhood, eat Nasi Goreng, play Counter Strike at an internet cafe, and haggle with a local who isn't even trying to sell me anything.

Before I end this blog I just want to say that Garuda Indonesia flights now have wifi. I swear we live in the future now! Sadly you still need to pay for access - so I guess the future is a bleak heartless capitalistic world.

No comments:

Post a Comment