Sunday, March 2, 2014

O - week

To celebrate two weeks of accidental sobriety I got pissed last Friday. I went to the Rege (pub near where I live) with my roommates and a few others. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but something was definitely different about the pub. For starters I was almost refused entrance for looking "glassy eyed" but then managed to talk my way out of it (it turns out begging and pleading works as a good negotiator). Once inside I noticed every middle aged, depressed and single man sipping on a beer that was usually there had been replaced with about fifteen 18 year old kids. Since graduating I've developed a pretty strong arrogance which has made me instantly devalue the conversation of any undergraduate i talk to. This turned out to be a good thing though because it meant I had no distractions to my drinking. Ideally I would have liked to drink in the outside section of the rege but a new house rule has been enforced which states that no one can drink any liquid in the outside section past 10:00pm. No doubt my brother getting glassed over the head a couple of months back had something to do with that - I guess both my brother and I have been glass eyed in the Rege now.

After a 2 day hangover I finally managed to summon up the energy to clean my filthy infested room. The inspiration was short lived though because I came to the realization that the largest shelf in my room was my floor, so I figured any square inch of floor space not covered with clothes would simply be a waste of space.

In other news Gim is back working at the office. Gim is a PhD student from Malaysia who works near me. He graduated at the same time I did, with the same degree I did, with academic grades and accomplishments I couldn't even dream of. He is literally better than me in every single way. He's also Christian which makes this intellectual standoff particularly interesting. It's like he has God on his side or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment