Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Game of life

Dear Reader,

If you're reading this then you are one of the first to witness my thorough transformation. I graduate in less than a month now, and I'm starting to consider all my options - almost all of which involve stepping into the real world. In case you don't know, the real world is a magical place filled with ties, suites, highly polished shoes and well structured emails. I've decided that I shall engage in these relevant real world activities to prepare myself for an economically sustainable future. I'm starting with this blog. From now on, every blog will feature grammatically correct sentences and the occasional line of forced social commentary.

Kind Regards,
Matthew James

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKK THAT!

dis shit be cray, yo.

I think the only thing worse than having no options available to you, is to have several. Lets face it, there is a bit of anxiety associated with finally stepping through only one of the doors that you've seen open for quite some time. I think the movie "the graduate" pretty well describes what I'm going through (minus the sleeping with other peoples mothers). I've got a few options available to me right now, and i'm unsure which door to step through. There more I talk to people, the more conflicted and paranoid I get. It's come to the point where I no longer view advice from people as being advice anymore, I view it as a subtle form of manipulation. This creates a pretty damn fine circle of confusion which I'm strapped to.

As far as I can see it, my life is like a cheesy game show. The aim of the game is to choose the door that has an expensive ferrari behind it, all other doors hide a lifelong subscription of soap. Sadly, this game show isn't like the monty hall problem, so there is no easy way for me to trick the probability of getting the car.

Door 1:
I've been offered a job with professor Prusty for 2014. The job is a mix of computer coding and education planning. It would involve me working full time throughout november and december this year and also all of 2014. It pays a bit over 60kpa.

Door 2:
Apply for jobs in the real world - also known as the "re world" in da hood. This adds a bit of risk since I don't know if I'll get a job any time soon and I don't know if I'll like it.

Door 3:
Work for my maths professor for 2 months. This would involve reinventing the maths syllabus for year 12 students. This would be great fun! Sadly, I don't have much time on my hands to pick up the extra responsibilities.

Door 4:
Don't work and travel. This definitely seems like a good option right now. But I think that's because I'm stressed from uni. I think 1 month out of Uni i'll be bored and in desperate need of clean underwear. Also, I would never be able to escape the anxiety associated with the inevitability of choosing another door later.

I've been stalling for a while now, so if I decide to go through door 1, then I need to sprint head first through it.

Will Matthew choose the right door? Can he drive away in a ferrari? Or will he walk back home with a much needed supply of soap? Find out in 2 months! If you want to cast your vote, or make bets into Matthew decision, call 0403716115 or contact him on facebook.

Overall, this has left me a little pessimistic. I find it a bit disappointing that higher education and university is being seen as an optional training camp, rather than a hub of intellectuals who are just curious about the way the world works. It gives me the impression that Universities are just factories that pump out degrees to give people practical knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment