Monday, January 7, 2013

My name is Matt, I'm 22 and I'm living in New Zealand

I've given up trying to understand my roommate from Papua New Guinea. Even though we can't understand each other, it doesn't stop us from having conversations with each other. I've learned that I can say any meaningless drivel and he will laugh politely at it. Also, the one word I do understand coming from his mouth is the word 'shit' (which he pronounces as 'shieii'), which I always assume is the punch line of any joke he tries to tell. So I know when to laugh politely at his jokes too. He's a good bloke, but it's getting kind of difficult. Both of us just finished having dinner at opposite ends of the table. There was a 10 minute lull in meaningless, non-translated conversation where all you could hear was the awkward silence mixed with the sound of quiet chewing and cutlery lightly hitting the plates as we ate. It made me think of what a middle aged, bitter, loveless marriage would be like.

Aside from that, New Zealand is still really cool. The coastal walk is awesome! I went for a walk / hike for about 2.5 hours yesterday right along the coast in scorching hot sun wearing nothing but pants and a shit tone of sunscreen.

When I'm not having candlelit dinners or long walks along the beach, I like to go to the gym - wow, this is sounding like a pathetic online dating profile... I just bought a $100 gym membership which gives me 24/7 access. This is really good for me because I like the reliability of something being open in New Plymouth past 5pm…

Work is getting better. I've been given an assignment which is quite interesting. I can't say what it is specifically, but it's got a lot to do with theory and data analysis which I think is kinda cool.

Lastly, I'm still looking at youtube videos of the Lenovo x230t, the computer I plan to buy for next semester. In particular, I really want to gauge how well this laptop keeps up with handwriting. The last thing I want is to make a 1.5k investment in a machine that can't perform its main purpose. But youtube and Google reviews are pretty promising, so I think I'm probably going to go for it.

Oh! My Grandparents are coming to visit me in New Plymouth on the 19th! How badath is that!? It’ll be cool to finally have someone I can casually go to the bar with.

No comments:

Post a Comment