Friday, December 31, 2021

I'm not just sure, I'm Covid positive

 I got tested positive for covid on the 29th December 2021. I almost made it to the end of the year...

This was a huge surprise to me because while traveling around Ireland and the UK I took a total of 2 PCR tests, 2 official antigen tests, and 4 lateral flow self-tests. All negative. While I almost certainly picked up the virus in London (read my previous post about England's approach to Covid), I only developed really noticeable symptoms on the evening I arrived back in the Netherlands on the 26th. This is my story:

The symptoms on the 26th were quite mild in the evening. I had a slightly sore throat and a slightly runny nose. 

On the 27th I still had mild symptoms, but my throat was beginning to hurt more. When going to bed I felt unusually cold for about 15 minutes despite wearing multiple layers and cuddling my portable hot water bottle (Winry). 

On the 28th all symptoms remained mild except for my throat. It was really starting to hurt now. When going to bed I could feel my windpipe swelling up, making it uncomfortable to breathe. 

I tried to sleep it off but at 3am, on the morning of the 29th, I woke up finding it much harder to breathe. My throat was very narrow and mucus was blocking the rest. I tried to swallow a small cold & coughing tablet which should have reduced the mucus that was obstructing my windpipe. Predictably, the tiny pill got stuck in my throat. Whoops. Despite this, I could still breathe fine - albeit uncomfortably. However, worried at the rate my throat was closing up, I thought it would be a mistake to wait another 5 hours to visit my GP. I woke Kaz up and told her to drive me to the hospital. The wait at the emergency entrance was long and arduous. While talking in a high-pitched voice, I had to tell the receptionist everything: symptoms, address, BSN, health insurance numbers, ID etc. She eventually let me through with a warning: "next time make an appointment to go to the emergency, the doctor is very annoyed with you".  The doctor managed to solve my throat issue by feeding me a crushed-up ibuprofen pill with water. No dramatic emergency throat slicing needed. He told me my symptoms were consistent with that of Omicron and that self-tests are very insensitive to the new variant. Kaz and I both did a PCR test that morning and we both did self-tests. We both tested negative on the self-tests and Kaz got a negative for the PCR test. My PCR test wouldn't come back positive until the late afternoon of the 30th. 



No comments:

Post a Comment