Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Day 2 - Sarria to Puertomarin

After a pleasant sleep in at one of the most basic hostels I've ever seen (and I've been to South East Asia), we decided to start our hiking adventure.

We stepped outside at 8am and a crack of thunder raced across the sky. God had unzipped his trousers and was letting us bathe in his holy urine. It was a solid 24km of fog and rain. An atheist doing the pilgrimage hike; I should have seen it coming. God 1 - Matt 0.

On the bright side we managed to stop off at a few places to try a few great beers and enjoy some tapas. I love the bar culture here; you order a beer and you get complementary simple snacks like cheese, bread, or chorizo. I eat a lot but Pablo, who is a short skinny Spaniard put me to shame. He eats and drinks far more than me. It's almost as if he's viewing this entire 5 day hike as a very very long pub crawl.

Another thing I've noticed is just how chaotic Spanish architecture and town planning is. The roads are curved and dirty and the houses and broken down and unkept. It's a pleasant change from the ultra clean and organized Dutch way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment