Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Day 1 - Madrid

On 2nd December 2018 I flew down to Madrid to meet Pablo and Africa. Only two weeks prior I had made spontaneous plans to do the Camino de Santiago (pilgrimage hike). The full route is long, beginning in France, but we decided to just do the last 120km of the hike from Sarria to Santiago de Compostella.

Meeting up with Africa and Pablo again was great. They're both adults and working full time. Africa is working at Caf which is some type of development bank, and Pablo works at Maxam which and sells ammunition to other countries. I wanted to ask if he was ashamed of his career in indirectly arming African drug Lords, but silenced myself instead. Africa has a chocolate Labrador called Congo - I'll never understand her families obsession with naming mamals after places.

After a nice standing tapas meal at Pez tortillas in La Latina Pablo and I said goodbye to Africa and headed for a 6 hour trainride to Sarria. The trainride went smoothly except for a small hiccup where I was humiliated by an employee for not wearing shoes. You don't need to know Spanish to understand "wtf are you doing?! That's so wrong!!".

No comments:

Post a Comment