Saturday, November 15, 2014

Tough Mudder

I ran a 19 kilometer obstacle course today called Tough Mudder. It was awesome! It wasn't too crowded and it was very challenging. A lot of the early obstacles were super easy - just climbing over walls or walking through mud. But by the end I was pushed to the limit with 3 obstacles. One of them - called 'Leap of Faith' - featured an old fashioned Navy net that had its lowest end elevated to about 2m above your head and and about 4m in front of you. But the hardest part wasn't jumping and reaching the lowest rung of the net. The hardest part was climbing the net using only your upper body strength.

Another obstacle was a essentially a manlyafied version of monkey bars. You had to swing from suspended ring to suspended ring to get from one side to the other. Sadly this was the only obstacle I didn't make :( - hardly anyone did. The rings were widely spaced that it was impossible to gather the momentum to swing to the next ring. Your only hope was to do it in one go - practically jumping through the air and hoping to get the grip and angle necessary to grab the next ring.

The last obstacle was what many may have perceived to be the easiest, yet ironically was the hardest. All you had to do was run in a straight line trying to dodge dangling electrodes. There were so may that it was impossible to dodge all the electrodes so I just decided to sprint through. Half way through the pit I thought it was a piece of cake, I could barely feel a thing, and I thought to myself if there was any chance of me being stung it wouldn't sting more than one of those prank electric pens you can get for $10. Then it hit me. It was as if Zues himself punched me in the heart. The jolt forced me to jump into the air like a rag doll and shout out the worlds "AHHHHHHHHH!! FUCK!!" at the top of my lungs. It retrospect it was actually quite funny because there were a bunch of kids spectating this final obstacle by the finish line. At the time though, I was only focused on the giant surge of adrenaline coursing through my veins which made me leap out of the pit straight through the finish line like a badass.



No comments:

Post a Comment