Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Division and Arrogance

I'm in Malaysia! I'm visiting my family here for Christmas. I'll write a full story about all the good family things I'll get up to in a separate post because I want to show y'all another cartoon.

The day we (my brother and I) arrived in KL, my Dad shouted us a high quality haircut and beard trim at the finest hair stylist place in the finest mall in the finest area of KL. As the hairdresser started doing his thing, I couldn't help but overhear the other rich expats casually describe the elaborate hair style they each wanted. Ok, this is where it gets weird - I started looking in the mirror in front of me and I began noticing all the common facial features I had with apes. Then I started looking around the room and I noticed it in my brother and in the hairdresser. (I know, very weird, right?). After this minor hallucination I couldn't stop thinking about how stupid having an elaborate haircut was - it just seemed like such a waste of time and money to dress up an ape.

Anywho, that was the main motivation for this cartoon. What I'm trying to show in this comic is that the divide between first world and third world countries is mostly an artificial one. It's tempting to think that the people in these countries 'earned' their place in society because they're worked harder or smarter etc etc. But in reality, I think humans aren't that intrinsically different at all, it's just that we're all prone to indoctrination and absorb the culture we're raised in.

I've always found it kinda funny that if you put a suit on a monkey it just looks like a monkey in a suit. But if you put a suit on a human, it looks like a successful business man.


No comments:

Post a Comment